Who wants to keep up with the Kardashians? And why does anyone care?
Who is Honey Boo boo? And do they realize they are being mocked?
Do real people really waste time watching this Duck Dynasty stuff?
We're obsessed with weight, wrinkles and wealth. Does the Today Show not have real news?
A film crew follows a naked couple around on an island as they get sunburned and fake their survival. And it's The Discovery Channel!
An idiot keeps pythons. The snakes kill 2 little boys. Why?
And then there's the mom here in Memphis who stabbed her 2 children to death. More than sad.
I could go on and on. I will never understand the marketing decisions these networks make when they go out and find the backwoods man with no teeth, and make him talk so people can laugh at the poor guy. And the overweight mother who is encouraged to eat while they follow her with the camera. Then there are the hoarders, mentally unstable usually. Or the two naked people made to look as if they are cave people, crying and acting it up, with ragged shoulder bags, charcoal rubbed on their bodies, dirt all over -- and the camera crew filming their every move with spots over their genitals. Why? What's the point?
My heart breaks when I think about the money spent on the first five of these network shows above. Hundreds of thousands, if not millions of dollars. What would happen if all that money was put to use in righting the wrongs in our culture? This is a start of what I'd spend it on:
- Free birth control, free medical care and mental health counseling
- Free education and pay teens to go to school, more money for good grades
- Pay mentors to care for elders
- Pay elders who are able to be mentors to youth
- Parenting classes for every parent
- Teach people how to grow their own food and give them the tools and access to do it
- Pay those living in poverty to attend Gettin Ahead in a Just Gettin By World workshops
What would you spend the money on?